BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Really confused with scheduling

2009-09-03 14:56:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Really confused with scheduling
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 13:52:38 -0500
Jose Torres wrote:
> Another doubt:
>
> The BackupPC_nighly job does not do any actual backup, right?  It only does
> housekeeping jobs?

Yes, it has to run to expire old backups and release the space they used.

> I should set a cron job for the BackupPC_nightly job and set
> $Conf{BackupsDisable} = 1;
> Or leave $Conf{BackupsDisable} = 0 and set $Conf{BlackoutPeriods} to every
> day/hour to simulate BackupDisable = 1
>
> Or what do you suggest would be the better way?

If I were doing it (and cared about down-to-the-second scheduling), I'd
leave most things at the defaults and set
$Conf{FullPeriod} and $Conf{IncrPeriod} to times that will never be
reached as long as the cron-initiated runs happen when you expect.  I'm
not sure there is good locking between scheduled runs and ServerMesg
jobs so be sure you allow enough time for your jobs to complete and
reset the scheduler's timer.