BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Really confused with scheduling

2009-09-03 13:10:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Really confused with scheduling
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 13:06:17 -0400
Jose Torres wrote at about 12:27:07 -0400 on Thursday, September 3, 2009:
 > I want to schedule one Full backup every Sunday at 21:15 and five
 > Incremental backups at 00:30 on every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday,
 > and Saturday.
 >

 > This is something really, really easy to do using NTbackup and Task
 > Scheduler on Windows computers, but I have a Zimbra/Ubuntu server and can't
 > use NTbackup.

Well, BackupPC has a different but arguably more sophisticated and
robust version of backup scheduling.

If all you want to do is to run a fixed backup job at the exact same
time every week, then you don't need to use the sophisticated default
scheduler. Just turn off all job scheduling in config.pl and run
simple cron jobs calling: BackupPC_dump [-i] [-f] <client>
  where -i = incremental
                -f = full

That being said, since this question seems to come up a lot, maybe it
should be added to the FAQ if it isn't there already.

Also, given that some people seem to prefer such absolutely
deterministic scheduling, maybe we should consider adding such an
option internally to BackupPC itself. Whereby on a generic or
host-by-host basis, one could add specifically timed backup jobs to
either config.pl or the corresponding host file, respectively.