BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Excludes not working

2009-08-27 06:29:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Excludes not working
From: "Koen Linders" <koen.linders AT koca DOT be>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:23:51 +0200
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Bernhard Ott [mailto:bernhard.ott AT gmx DOT net]
Verzonden: donderdag 27 augustus 2009 11:31
Aan: General list for user discussion, questions and support
Onderwerp: Re: [BackupPC-users] Excludes not working

Koen Linders wrote:
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>> On 08/26 12:57 , Osburn, Michael wrote:
>>> I am trying to backup my backuppc server while excluding the backups
>>> directory. No matter what I put under excludes in the config, I still
>>> end up with the cpool and pc directories in my backups.
>> You misunderstand the exclude syntax. Here's an example for a (SMB) share
>> named 'c$':
>>
>> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>>        'c$' => [
>>         '/RECYCLER',
>>         '/winnt/tmp',
>>         '/temp',
>>         '/WUTemp',
>>         '/WINDOWS',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
> Files/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/history/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Cookies/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Favorites/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/IETldCache/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/IECompatCache/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/NetHood/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/PrivacIE/',
>>         '/Documents and Settings/*/PrintHood/',
>>         '/pagefile.sys',
>>         '/hiberfil.sys',
>>         ]
>>    };
>>
> hmm ... I'm having some problems with smb-tar excludes, too (my first
> smb client because of never ending VISTA 64-bit related issues with
> DeltaCopy and/or cygwin-rsyncd) and I read on:
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Smb_exclude
>

>>    1.  Backslashes (\) seem to be the only effective way to get smbclient
> to correctly exclude files.
>>    2. Subfolders need to be followed by a \* to be correctly excluded.
>>    3. Files off of the root of the share need to be prepended by an extra
> backslash to be correctly excluded.
>>    4. Folders off of the root of the share need to be prepended by an
> extra backslash to be correctly excluded.
>

> Maybe I should try it your way then ... ;-)
>
> Bernhard

> --
>
> I backup Windows Vista without a problem with Deltacopy. I mainly followed
> one of the wiki pages to exclude the 'junction points'. There is more
stuff
> than necessary in the one I list below, but I can't find the Wiki pages
> (what happened there?)
>
> Ah, here is the link to the specific page for Vista
> www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html
>
> Also mind the {ClientCharset}.
>
> Greetings,
> Koen Linders

Thanks for the tips, Koen,
I followed all these instructions (at least I think I did ;-)), but my
problems were not related to excludes, I simply got no connection to the
shares:
"@ERROR: chdir failed", so maybe a permission denied error due to ACL or
similar.
Unfortunately I had no time to investigate any further (the workstation
is down right now so I can't provide any logs).
Should I use "CYGWIN=ntsec tty" with DeltaCopy, too?

=> Nope. You only need to be sure after registering the Deltacopy service
that it actually runs correctly.
I register the service as administrator (Gives error, but it shows up in
Services). Then I go the services.msc and change it from This account
(administrator) to Local System Account. If it starts then without an error
it's ok.

Whatever virtual directory I defined didn't show up when I connected
(rsync -av user@host::), only the standard share "Backup" was displayed.
Are you running the 64bit version?

Bernhard

=> Next I added a directory to backup in Deltacopy with name cDRIVE and path
c:\
=> Use authentication: e.g backupuser and password
=> In the BackupPC config: Xfer
RsyncShareName: cDRIVE
RsyncdUsername: backupuser
RsyncdPasswd: password

That it. I can copy the Deltacopy folder after this configuration to any pc.
I only need to register the service again. You could always add multiple
backup directories in Deltacopy if you need.

Koen