BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Excludes not working

2009-08-27 01:32:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Excludes not working
From: "Koen Linders" <koen.linders AT koca DOT be>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:28:22 +0200
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 08/26 12:57 , Osburn, Michael wrote:
>> I am trying to backup my backuppc server while excluding the backups
>> directory. No matter what I put under excludes in the config, I still
>> end up with the cpool and pc directories in my backups.
>
> You misunderstand the exclude syntax. Here's an example for a (SMB) share
> named 'c$':
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>        'c$' => [
>         '/RECYCLER',
>         '/winnt/tmp',
>         '/temp',
>         '/WUTemp',
>         '/WINDOWS',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/history/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Cookies/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/Favorites/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/IETldCache/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/IECompatCache/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/NetHood/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/PrivacIE/',
>         '/Documents and Settings/*/PrintHood/',
>         '/pagefile.sys',
>         '/hiberfil.sys',
>         ]
>    };

hmm ... I'm having some problems with smb-tar excludes, too (my first
smb client because of never ending VISTA 64-bit related issues with
DeltaCopy and/or cygwin-rsyncd) and I read on:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Smb_exclude

>    1.  Backslashes (\) seem to be the only effective way to get smbclient
to correctly exclude files.
>    2. Subfolders need to be followed by a \* to be correctly excluded.
>    3. Files off of the root of the share need to be prepended by an extra
backslash to be correctly excluded.
>    4. Folders off of the root of the share need to be prepended by an
extra backslash to be correctly excluded.

Maybe I should try it your way then ... ;-)

Bernhard

I backup Windows Vista without a problem with Deltacopy. I mainly followed
one of the wiki pages to exclude the 'junction points'. There is more stuff
than necessary in the one I list below, but I can't find the Wiki pages
(what happened there?)

Ah, here is the link to the specific page for Vista
www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html

Also mind the {ClientCharset}.

Greetings,
Koen Linders

Excludes for rsyncd.

$Conf{XferMethod} = 'rsyncd';
$Conf{ClientCharset} = 'cp1252';
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '*' => [
    '/Documents and Settings',
    '/ProgramData/Application Data',
    '/ProgramData/Desktop',
    '/ProgramData/Documents',
    '/ProgramData/Favorites',
    '/ProgramData/Start Menu',
    '/ProgramData/Templates',
    '/Users/All Users',
    '/Users/Users/Default User',
    '/Users/Users/All Users/Application Data',
    '/Users/Users/All Users/Desktop',
    '/Users/All Users/Documents',
    '/Users/All Users/Favorites',
    '/Users/All Users/Start Menu',
    '/Users/All Users/Templates',
    '/Users/*/Application Data',
    '/Users/*/Cookies',
    '/Users/*/Local Settings',
    '/Users/*/My Documents',
    '/Users/*/NetHood',
    '/Users/*/PrintHood',
    '/Users/*/Recent',
    '/Users/*/SendTo',
    '/Users/*/Start Menu',
    '/Users/*/Templates',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Application Data',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/History',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Temporary Internet Files',
    '/Users/*/Documents/Mijn Muziek',
    '/Users/*/Documents/My Music',
    '/Users/*/Documents/My Pictures',
    '/Users/*/Documents/My Videos',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary Internet Files',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Temp',
    '/Users/*/NTUSER.DAT*',
    '/Users/*/ntuser.dat*',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat*',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Defender/FileTracker',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Explorer/thumbcache_*.db',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/WER',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/Cache',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Local/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/OfflineCache',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Cookies',
    '/Users/*/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Windows/Recent',
    '/ProgramData/Microsoft/Search',
    '/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows Defender',
    '*.lock',
    'Thumbs.db',
    'IconCache.db',
    'Cache*',