BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues

2009-06-26 19:13:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 19:10:13 -0400
Admiral Beotch wrote at about 10:41:07 -0700 on Friday, June 26, 2009:
 > Once I get it all figured out, I'll definitely send the information off to
 > the packager. Again, excellent catch on mounting the disk to the default
 > TOPDIR before installing the rpm. I cant wait to try that in a couple days.
 >
 > I dont want to fork this thread, but I have a strong stance on this issue
 > and I see it getting ignored a lot on many forums... SELinux is an awesome
 > security framework and should never be disabled. It's like a firewall for
 > processes. One wouldn't disable a firewall because it kept an required
 > application from working, you'd figure out how to unblock the traffic. The
 > same should go for SELinux. If a service or account gets compromised or
 > abused, SELinux will keep it sandboxed so it can't affect other parts of the
 > system.

No one is arguing that SELinux isn't better security -- the question
is whether it is worth it and what are the risk/benefits. Many people
I know get frustrated with SELinux and end up turning it off. That
makes sense if SELinux is costing them time and frustration and other
simpler measures meet their security needs. Personally, I have played
a lot with SELinux but also find that unless you have a "stock" distro
install, that SELinux causes endless issues every time you add a new
piece of software that has not been accounted for by the distro
maintainers.

Again, if you need that level of security, then feel free to use
SELinux - no one is stopping you. But on the other hand, don't expect
everybody else to be as interested in it or to spend time making sure
their applications are compliant.