BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues

2009-06-26 14:10:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:05:51 -0500
Admiral Beotch wrote:
> Once I get it all figured out, I'll definitely send the information off
> to the packager. Again, excellent catch on mounting the disk to the
> default TOPDIR before installing the rpm. I cant wait to try that in a
> couple days.
>
> I dont want to fork this thread, but I have a strong stance on this
> issue and I see it getting ignored a lot on many forums... SELinux is an
> awesome security framework and should never be disabled. It's like a
> firewall for processes. One wouldn't disable a firewall because it kept
> an required application from working, you'd figure out how to unblock
> the traffic. The same should go for SELinux. If a service or account
> gets compromised or abused, SELinux will keep it sandboxed so it can't
> affect other parts of the system.

And my stance is the opposite.  The standard unix security model wasn't
broken to begin with.  SELinux adds another layer that is only necessary
if you got something wrong in the first place.  Now, if you can't get
the simple, easy to understand thing right, what are the odds that
you'll do better with one that is so complicated that even the
distribution developers have spent years on and still haven't perfected?
If you have time to learn and tune both models perfectly, then they
shouldn't hurt anything, but so far I've always had something better to
do and considered it more productive to focus on the simple model.