BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues

2009-06-26 13:30:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues
From: Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:22:43 -0400
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 13:07, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Admiral Beotch wrote:
>>     What I'm wondering is, if you had mounted your drive on
>>     /var/lib/backuppc before the yum install (or had set it up during the
>>     Centos install) would any of the other steps have been necessary?
>>
>> I'm going to guess that the chcon would still have been necessary
>> because the default SELinux policy probably does not expect httpd_t to
>> have so much access to a file system. But we'll give it a shot.
>
> If it doesn't, you should report it to the packager.  RPMs are supposed
> to set that stuff up so it works.  I normally disable SELinux to avoid
> surprises anyway though, but most of my boxes are pretty well firewalled.

I thought I would give some feedback here...

I am running BackupPC 3.1.0-5 built from Fedora SRPMs (should be the
same as EPEL) in a CentOS 5.3 machine, with SELinux enabled, in
"enforced" mode, with "targeted" policy.

I have the BackupPC volume mounted in /var/lib/BackupPC (default
path), I mounted it *before* installing the RPM.

I have had *no* issues with SELinux so far, and I'm running it for a
couple of weeks now.

The RPM includes a file named
/usr/share/selinux/packages/BackupPC/BackupPC.pp, which I believe will
implement the SELinux policies need for BackupPC operation. I believe
it will do so considering the labels that are applied by default in
/var/lib/BackupPC, and if you decide to mount your repository
elsewhere (like /BackupData) it will only give you trouble...

Especially if using SELinux, I would advise you to try to keep your
backups under /var/lib/BackupPC, and also to mount the backup drive at
that path before installing the RPM.

HTH,
Filipe