BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues

2009-06-26 14:28:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Having Several Issues
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Admiral Beotch <AdmiralBeotch AT hackerish DOT org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:19:44 +0200
Hi,

Admiral Beotch wrote on 2009-06-26 09:41:51 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Having
Several Issues]:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 09:09, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
> [...]
> > ...so I'm surprised you didn't follow the directions for a mount or soft
> > link at /var/lib/backuppc that should be somewhere on the wiki.
>
> You're suprised I didnt follow directions? Well, that makes one of us. 8D

you're entitled to not being surprised by not having followed directions, but
you're not exempted from the consequences.

Changing TopDir like you did does not work for versions prior to 3.2.0beta0,
unless the package contains an appropriate patch. I don't know if your package
does, but if it doesn't, pooling will not work, and you'll have large amounts
of errors "BackupPC_link got error XXX when calling MakeFileLink..." in your
log files. As I read the code, BackupPC does not in fact prevent this at
startup, where it checks whether $Topdir/pc and $Topdir/cpool are on the same
file system. BackupPC_link uses CPoolDir. This is supposed to be the same, but
prior to 3.2.0beta0, CPoolDir will incorrectly be set to the value
"$Topdir/cpool" had *before* $Conf{TopDir} was changed in the config file.

So, keep TopDir where the package puts it, as you've already decided to do for
SELinux reasons anyway.

Regards,
Holger