BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Kernel Panic, BackupPC + ext3

2009-06-26 16:46:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Kernel Panic, BackupPC + ext3
From: Peter Walter <pwalter AT itlsys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, nm_list AT visp DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 16:40:34 -0400
Nate wrote:
At 04:26 PM 3/4/2009, Nate wrote:

We seem to be routinely having this issue where the server backuppc
is running on throws a kernel panic and thus hard locks the
machine.  It's completely random, sometimes happens daily, sometimes
we can have a lucky 2-3 weeks without a lockup.  I've taken a
screenshot and posted it here:

http://locu.net/misc/kernelp_backuppc.jpg

This hardware has been in use for years without as much as a burp
before using backuppc, so I'm suspecting this could be an ext3 issue
with the multitudes of files and ext3's inability to handle
them?  Prior to using backup pc, we backed up the same data just in
flat .tgz files.

System info:
kernel: 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5 #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 11:57:43 EST 2008 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
distro: centos 5.2
hw:  athlon 64 3200+, 4GB ram

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nathan

FYI, I thought I'd update the list. We tried about everything,
including new hardware.  The problem went away completely when we
switched off LVM and just started using RAID.  We're left with less
flexibility in adding new drives, but at least the system doesn't crash.

LVM + ext3 + BackupPC = *boom*

I run  LVM + ext3 + BackupPC with Centos 5.2 and 5.3 and the systems are rock-solid. You might want to consider the thread in http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2321 before declaring you know for sure what the problem is.

Peter