BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-04 11:25:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:21:34 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

>  > And for extra points, figure out which variations could be adapted to
>  > incremental updates as you might want to do to keep an offsite copy in
>  > sync.  The blockdevice approach would probably require ZFS with its
>  > snapshot send/receive functions.  The tarPCcopy approach would need to
>  > catch all files under directories newer than the previous run - and
>  > maybe track current directory contents for deletions which is one of the
>  > Gnutar extensions.
>
> You need to be careful about hash chain renumbering which could mess
> things up if you are just looking at file names and file modification
> dates. Would gnutar handle this properly without having to run through
> all the hard links? Some of the simpler methods would fail here
> without additional logic.

No, gnutar doesn't have any way to track and propagate renames. It would
have to delete and copy the pool file contents to the new name - as
would rsync.  This would leave the pc files connected to the right
content but no longer associated with the pool.  You could simplify this
issue by cheating: make the nightly run log the deletes and renames and
duplicate the actions on the copy, keeping that in sync with creating
the representation of new link items.  I think star has some sort of
rename-tracking or inode-following concept in its dump emulation mode
incrementals but I haven't looked at it all that closely.  It seemed as
slow as other approaches when I tried it for a full copy, but maybe the
incremental dump mode would get the subsequent things right.  Unlike
other tar-alikes, this has to be aligned on filesystem boundaries, but
that probably wouldn't be a big problem.