BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-03 17:52:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Peter Walter <pwalter AT itlsys DOT com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 23:45:35 +0200
Hi,

Peter Walter wrote on 2009-06-03 16:15:37 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing
up a BackupPC server]:
> [...]
> My understanding is that, if it were not for the
> hardlinks, that rsync transfers to another server would be more
> feasible;

right.

> that processing the hardlinks requires significant cpu
> resources, memory resources, and that access times are very slow,

Memory: yes. CPU: I don't think so. Access times very slow? Well, the inodes
referenced from one directory are probably scattered all over the place, so
traversing the file tree (e.g. "find $TopDir -ls") is probably slower than
in "normal" directories. Or do you mean swapping slows down memory accesses
by several orders of magnitude?

> compared to processing ordinary files. Is my understanding correct? If
> so, then what I would think of doing is (a) shutting down backuppc (b)
> creating a "dump" file containing the hardlink metadata (c) backing up
> the pooled files and the dump file using rsync (d) restarting backuppc.
> I really don't need a live, working copy of the backuppc file system -
> just a way to recreate it from a backup if necessary, using an "undump"
> program that recreated the hardlinks from the dump file. Is this
> approach feasible?

Yes. I'm just not certain how you would test it. You can undoubtedly
restore your pool to a new location, but apart from browsing a few random
files, how would you verify it? Maybe create a new "dump" and compare the
two ...

Have you got the resources to try this? I believe I've got most of the code
we'd need. I'd just need to take it apart ...

Regards,
Holger