BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 12:21:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:17:54 -0500
Peter Walter wrote:

> As a Linux newbie, I have only a partial understanding of the technology
> underlying Linux and BackupPC, but I get the impression that the problem
> with a rsync-like solution is that processing hardlinks is very
> expensive in terms of cpu time and memory resources. This may be a
> stupid question, but, if hardlinks are the problem, has any thought been
> given to adding to BackupPC an option to use some form of database
> (text, SQL or otherwise) to associate hashes to files, instead? It seems
> to me that using hardlinks is in fact using that feature of the file
> system *as* a database, a use that does not appear to be optimal ... if
> I have misunderstood, please educate me :-)

Using the filesystem to back up files is pretty much optimal for the
operations that backuppc actually does.  That is, creating a new link
will atomically succeed or fail regardless of how many other processes
try the same thing at the same time and the link count is always
maintained correctly in the corresponding inode.  Name lookups are
fairly efficient operations, and the free space list is always
maintained correctly.  Disk head motion (the usual bottleneck) isn't
always optimal but nothing else is going to do it any better.

The place it isn't optimal is when you try to do other operations on the
archive filesystem like reconstructing it with a file-oriented copy
mechanism that has to traverse all the filenames and match up the inode
numbers to duplicate the hard links.