BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-03 22:40:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 04:33:50 +0200
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2009-06-03 19:36:22 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Backing up a BackupPC server]:
> [...]
> Holger, one thing I don't understand is that if you create a dump
> table associating inodes with pool file hashes, aren't we back in the
> same situation as using rsync -H?

in short (because it's once again really late): I sort the table by inode
numbers. The lines are constructed so that I first get the pool entry for one
inode number and then all the links to it. I only need to keep one inode
number and one pool file name in memory, because as soon as I reach the next
inode number, I know I won't need the information again.

For sorting, I simply use sort(1). I believe that's merge sort (O(n log n)).

At some point, it would be faster to create two independent tables and sort
them individually, like you point out (it may already be, but sorting is fast
enough so far that I don't worry about that yet). You'd then read the two
files in parallel, effectively doing much the same as with a single file.

> I would be curious to know how how in the real world the time (and
> memory usage) compares to copy over a large (say multi Terabyte)
> BackupPC topdir varies for the following methods:
>
> 1. cp -ad
> 2. rsync -H
> 3. Copy using a single table of pool inode numbers
> 4. Copy using a sorted table of pool inode numbers and pc hierarchy
>    inode numbers

So would I, but I haven't got the resources at hand to test it.

Regards,
Holger

P.S.: I'm not sure creating the pool in the resulting order is optimal, but at
      least it appears to work.