BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-03 13:09:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:04:20 -0500
Pieter Wuille wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:23 PM, John Rouillard
> <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 01:46:39PM -0700, Craig Barratt wrote:
>>> I recently heard about lessfs, which runs on top of FUSE to provide
>>> a file system that does block-level de-duplication.  See:
>> What is the status of FUSE for the various bsd's and solaris? Last
>> time I looked they weren't really ready for prime time. If that is
>> still the case, moving to anything FUSE based would basically mean
>> that BackupPC is a linux server only based solution right?
>
> This lessfs does seem like a very elegant solution for separating
> BackupPC's efficient storage from the rest, but restricting it to
> Linux only would be quite a pity. However, maybe it is possible to use
> lessfs's backend (without the fuse glue) directly in BackupPC without
> going through the filesystem (like BackupPC now has a builtin
> filesystem view too)? I assume the backend should be quite portable.

Everything except Linux should have ZFS soon if not already, and ZFS
will probably get an even better de-dup than this by the time backuppc
changes would be finished.  I'd think the right approach would be to
simply make the pool management optional so you could just turn it off
if you expect the file system to handle it.