BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-03 16:25:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Peter Walter <pwalter AT itlsys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:15:37 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote:
Holger Parplies wrote:

I'm not sure why you would need any other format change - and if you had
a tool to reconstruct the pool links you could switch back if you wanted -
at some cost in time and CPU.

Here we are back at the original problem. If you have a tool to do that, you
can also copy a pool without handling hardlinks and then re-establish them
(yes, I know, supposing you have enough space). And that *is* feasible right
now, it just comes at a significant cost, because you need to hash and link
every single file in every pc/ directory. For small amounts of data, you won't
mind doing that, but then, for small amounts of data, you don't need to,
because 'rsync -H'/'cp -d' will simply work.

But because of the nature of the problem, rsync and cp can't do a small
piece at a time - and their views of the inodes in question are only
valid as long as none change before the run completes.  A tool that
relinks individual files can plug away at it for as long as it takes -
although I suppose it has to be aware of the nightly run. You probably
have the whole blackout window with not much else to do anyway.

Les,

Perhaps I should rephrase my issue in the context of how backuppc already works. My understanding is that, if it were not for the hardlinks, that rsync transfers to another server would be more feasible; that processing the hardlinks requires significant cpu resources, memory resources, and that access times are very slow, compared to processing ordinary files. Is my understanding correct? If so, then what I would think of doing is (a) shutting down backuppc (b) creating a "dump" file containing the hardlink metadata (c) backing up the pooled files and the dump file using rsync (d) restarting backuppc. I really don't need a live, working copy of the backuppc file system - just a way to recreate it from a backup if necessary, using an "undump" program that recreated the hardlinks from the dump file. Is this approach feasible?

Peter