BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 13:13:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Peter Walter <pwalter AT itlsys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 13:08:51 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote:
> The first thing needed would be to demonstrate that there would be an
> advantage to a database approach - like some benchmarks showing an
> improvement in throughput in the TB size range and measurements of the
> bandwidth needed for remote replication.
>
> Personally I think the way to make things better would be to have a
> filesystem that does block-level de-duplication internally. Then most of
> what backuppc does won't even be necessary.   There were some
> indications that this would be added to ZFS at some point, but I don't
> know how the Oracle acquisition will affect those plans.

I am a newbie at this, and you obviously are very experienced with Linux
and backuppc. However, it seems to me that the features that Jeffrey
Kosowsky mentioned would be a very acceptable tradeoff against a
reduction in performance, at least for me. I don't think there is a
*need* to demonstrate an advantage if you stipulate that you would be
comfortable with some reduction in performance. Finally, as someone who
has done some database programming with *very* large databases, I don't
think there is much to worry about regarding the transaction performance
of common databases, such as MySQL. Using ZFS or another specific
filesystem simply to preserve the requirement to support hard links
seems to me to be requiring a specific technology for the technology's
sake, instead of  determining which of several available technologies
would solve the problem at hand. Why shouldn't backuppc be able to run
on an NTFS volume, for instance?

Peter