BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 17:19:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:12:19 -0500
Craig Barratt wrote:

> Yes, taking this approach would require a very substantial rewrite.
> BackupPC would become a lot simpler.  But it also creates a significant
> issue of backward compatibility.  The only solution would be to provide
> tools that import the old BackupPC store into a new one.  That is
> possible, but would likely be very slow.

One simple thing that I've sometimes thought would be useful would be a
way to re-create the pool links down any PC tree.  That way you could
rsync individual pc directories to an offsite location which usually
works OK even with -H (I suppose there is some limit..) and then
reconstruct the pooling to reclaim the duplicate space, repeating for
each host or new backup without ever having to deal with the size of the
combined pool/pc tree.