BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 19:55:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 01:50:13 +0200
Hi,

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2009-06-02 17:40:23 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Backing up a BackupPC server]:
> [...]
> Backing up the BackupPC data would then be as simple as the following:
> 1. Shutdown BackupPC
> 2. Copy the pool to the new destination (no hard links)
> 3. Recurse through the pc directories as follows:
>       - Copy directory entries to the new destination (i.e. recreate
>         directories using something like mkdir)
>       - Copy regular files with nlinks=1 to the new destination
>       - For hard-linked files, use the header (or footer) to find the
>         cpool pathname (reconstructed from the hash and the chain
>         number). Then create the corresponding link on the new
>         destination.
> 4. Restart BackupPC
>
> If you don't add the pool hash information to the cpool file
> header/footer, then you could still do a similar process by adding an
> intermediate step (say 2.5) of creating a lookup table by recursing
> through the pool and associating inodes with cpool entries. Then in
> step 3 you would use the inode number of each hard-linked file in the
> pc directory to look up the corresponding link that needs to be
> created. This would require some cleverness to make the lookup fast
> for large pools where the entire table might not fit into memory. My
> only concern is that this may require O(n^2) or O(nlogn) operations
> vs. the O(n) for the first method.

you do, of course, realize that I've implemented most of that (after all, I
wrote so [1] in a reply to one of your messages [2]) - far enough to use it
myself for a local pool copy of an admittedly rather small pool (103 GB, 10
million directory entries, 4 million inodes). Nobody seemed to care. I've had
more important things to do, so I didn't continue my work on that subject.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger

[1] <20081209031017.GM883 AT gratch.parplies DOT de>
[2] <[email protected]>