BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 15:27:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 14:23:06 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> >  > We already do have the issue of different optimizations for different
>  > filesytems - and databases are even worse.
>  >

> Pick one or two database implementations that work on multiple
> platforms. Problem solved.

Yes, but you'll inherit the worst properties of both the database and
the filesystem it sits on.

> Les, I understand that BackupPC as-is works perfectly for you on
> ZFS/Solaris.

It works well enough on ext3/Linux, which is what I'm actually using.  I
think it might be even better on ZFS.

> However, you need to recognize that some of us have
> different setups and different needs. Just because you don't need an
> SUV for your transportation needs doesn't mean you can convince me
> that I don't need an SUV for my different transportation needs. Maybe
> it's even true that a database approach would measurably degrade
> performance (though I doubt it) but that doesn't mean that the
> tradeoffs of better flexibility, extendability, and transportability
> aren't worth it for other people.

I'm just being pragmatic. Backuppc generally works.  Linux is not
difficult or expensive to obtain, nor is opensolaris.  Filesystems that
support hardlinks aren't hard to find. There are ways to deal with
copying filesystems.  When someone writes the database version I'll try
it out, but right now it's all talk and not particularly convincing.
While there are some theoretical points you can make about the attrib
file, I can't recall anyone ever mentioning problems with it on the
list. Nothing in my experience tells me that maintaining a database and
a filesystem that need atomic synchronization is going to be better than
a filesystem alone in any way that I care about - or that I would be
able to trust files and database entries copied separately to another
system. There are other places that could be bigger improvements in my
opinion - for example in handling large growing files or storing
additional attributes.