BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 10:35:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Peter Walter <pwalter AT itlsys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 09:31:04 -0400
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Indeed this has been discussed many times before ;) -- see the archives.

Yes, I have reviewed them.
> That being said, I agree that using a database to store both the
> hardlinks along with the metadata stored in the attrib files would be
> a more elegant, extensible, and platform-independent solution though
> presumably it would require a major re-write of BackupPC.

I agree that the arguments you present seem to have unassailable
advantages.  I don't think it would require a *major* rewrite - but,
only the authors and maintainers would be able to size the effort
properly. I think it could first be implemented as a new feature, along
with the present methods, and the "old" way of doing things becomes
deprecated over time.

> Still, it would be awesome to combine the simplicity and pooling
> structure of BackupPC with the flexibility of a database
> architecture...

I, for one, would be willing to contribute financially and with my very
limited skills if Craig, or others, were willing to undertake such an
effort. Perhaps Craig would care to comment.

Peter