BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server

2009-06-02 11:11:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up a BackupPC server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:06:40 -0500
Peter Walter wrote:

>> Still, it would be awesome to combine the simplicity and pooling
>> structure of BackupPC with the flexibility of a database
>> architecture...
>>
> I, for one, would be willing to contribute financially and with my very
> limited skills if Craig, or others, were willing to undertake such an
> effort. Perhaps Craig would care to comment.

The first thing needed would be to demonstrate that there would be an
advantage to a database approach - like some benchmarks showing an
improvement in throughput in the TB size range and measurements of the
bandwidth needed for remote replication.

Personally I think the way to make things better would be to have a
filesystem that does block-level de-duplication internally. Then most of
what backuppc does won't even be necessary.   There were some
indications that this would be added to ZFS at some point, but I don't
know how the Oracle acquisition will affect those plans.

Meanwhile, if someone has time to kill doing benchmark measurements,
using ZFS with incremental send/receive to maintain a remote filesystem
snapshot would be interesting.  Or perhaps making a vmware vmdk disk
with many small (say 1 or 2 gig) elements and running backuppc in a
virtual machine.  Then for replication, stop the virtual machine and
rsync the directory containing the disk image files.  This might even be
possible without stopping if you can figure out how vmware snapshots work.