BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 16:56:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT theingots DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:53:53 +0200
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> I wouldn't hard-wire that in because people might want different
> behaviors. If you look back in the archive, you will notice that  I
> required similar behavior to check for a volume nfs mounted on another
> server and to try to remount it if it is not mounted.

I didn't think of NFS volumes. That's another very good reason why one
might want to check if a directory is available.

> If Craig is interested in adding this capability, my suggestion
> instead would be to make it configurable by adding it to the config.pl
> file as commands analogous to DumpPreUserCmd.  You would probably need
> two: one for the initialization subroutine and one to run during the
> main while loop.

Here is one slight variation: Reuse DumpPreUserCmd. If the command
returns 0, proceed with the dump, otherwise 'next'. Then, I could write:

$Conf{DumpPreUserCmd} = 'if [ -d /my/external/disk ]; then exit 0; else
exit 1; fi';

I your case, with NFS, you would write a script that tries to mount NFS
and would return 0 or 1 depending on whether the mount succeeds.

What do you think?

Daniel.