BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 15:48:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:44:45 -0400
Daniel Carrera wrote at about 19:53:32 +0200 on Friday, May 22, 2009:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I just started taking a look at BackupPC. It looks really good.
 >
 > I'm looking for a backup solution for a home network (two Linux PCs). My
 > current solution is a simple script using rsync and hard links to create
 > the appearance of daily backups. What got my attention about BackupPC is
 > that it seems to do roughly the same thing, but with some extra features
 > like compression. So now I have a few questions:

Not sure if you yet realize this, but BackupPC actually does
more than just hard links and compression. Specifically,

1. It has the notion of a "pool" so that common files between multiply
   backed up computers are only copied once. When you have multiple
   Windows and/or Linux computers, this saves a lot of backup space.

2. Incrementals only contain hard links for new files vs. your system
   where every day you create a new hard link for every single
   file.