BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format

2009-05-18 16:18:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format
From: Boniforti Flavio <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 22:14:50 +0200

Il 18.05.09 17:34, "Adam Goryachev" <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT
au> ha
scritto:

> So all of these are estimations, and whether backuppc can internally
> even know what the correct settings are/should be, is possibly (probably
> as I think about it) impossible.

You are quite right... I didn't want to put that stuff in our thread, but it
*has* to be mentioned that rsync + ssh (and YES I am using -C compression!)
does meanfully change the amount of data transferred.

> A simply pre/post script which sets up the iptables entry, and then
> records the result and deletes the entry would probably be the quickest
> solution for a couple of simple bash scripts.....

Do you already have some sort of practical suggestion? I'm not used to use
iptables, I stopped playing with that piece of software some 6 years ago :-/
But indeed, I think that would be the only way to do some sort of
"accounting" or "billing" of bandwidth usage...

> Still, this doesn't address the meanings of the various bits of data
> which *are* kept by backuppc. Did someone manage to find the
> documentation on the meaning of the data recorded in the backups files?

If you talk about the same things I am clueless about (skip, create, pool,
same, and so on), then I'd be *too* interested in some precise definitions.

Regards,
F.