BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format

2009-05-19 07:51:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "Holger Parplies" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 13:47:37 +0200
Hallo Holger,

> > I need to give my customers statistics about how much data has been
> > transferred each month, which means summing up day-by-day the
> > transferred amount of data.
>
> so it's the "entertain bored users" case :-). Your definition
> leaves room for interpretation. For instance, if that number
> is more readily available, you could sum up the uncompressed
> data streams. On the other hand, you could leave iptables
> accounting rules in place all the time and just read out the
> counters (and zero them) once a month (assuming your BackupPC
> server doesn't reboot).

I *really* think I'll be collecting iptables data...

> > Well, I'm having concurrent backups, but they use different
> TCP ports,
> > thus I can "--sport 8873" and "--sport 8874" and so on for
> my clients.
>
> Even better. Those ports will not be used for maintainance, I
> suppose? Even if so, I guess counting that traffic wouldn't
> strictly be wrong ...

Nothing else than ssh-tunnelled BackupPC dumps.

> > What I interpreted was that "same" and "skip" have the same meaning:
> > file is not getting transferred. Why then using *two* words
> to define
> > a seamingly identical behaviour?
>
> I can't actually find "skip" in my XferLOGs. Probably because
> it only appears with logLevel >= 2 (at least for rsync).

Indeed I'm using XferLogLevel = 2
Skip actually only appears in "Incr" XFerLogs, which it seems then to be
substituted by "same" in "Full" backups...

> Strange. You always seem to find issues which, when looking
> at the code, disappear. There is one issue though:
> your logLevel is set too high (unless you are actually
> tracking a problem, which, in my experience, is not the
> case). I bet an 'ls -l' of your pc/ directories doesn't show
> as nicely which backups are full and which are incremental.
> With mine it's really obvious from the XferLOG files.

I actually put XferLogLevel back to 1, let's see what will happen...

> By default, that is normal. Read about how incremental
> backups work, in particular, which backups they are based on.

Will read about it in the BackupPC Documentation

> > Are you saying that "the backup
> > was taking ages" because it was re-transferring your data?
>
> Yes.

OK, still a bit confused... Will eventually come back on this issue
later on...

Regards and thanks for your time.

F.