BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format

2009-05-18 10:58:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [SUGGESTION] "Duration/mins" not in decimal format
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 16:55:24 +0200
> In any case, I think what our colleague is asking for is how
> much transit bandwidth did a host consume during the backup
> process, and this has nothing at all to do with pooling. The

Indeed, that's what I want to know: the really transferred bytes for
that host-to-host connection (from the remote host to my backuppc
server). Nothing concerning the backuppc pool...

> bad news is, (AFAIK) that this data is not collected within
> backuppc, and would need a different implementation for each
> transfer method. The best suggestion I could make would be to
> measure this at the network interface of your backuppc host.
> ie, the simplest method to track bandwidth consumption for
> rsyncd transfers is to add an iptables allow rule for traffic
> to your client host on port 873 (or whatever the correct ip +
> port is)...

Well, if I'd achieve something like this, I guess I would be collecting
*every single bit* (also commands issued and stuff like that).
For my purpose, it would be sufficient to know that I transferred a
total amount of 14 files, which sum up to 1034896 bytes. I tried to look
at the log files, but I don't understand how to distinguish between the
words like "pool", "same", "skip", "create"... If I could assume that
all the "create" ones are really transferred bytes, I'd be summing them
up with a simple bash script. But what about "pool" ones (I just imagine
that "skip" and "same" are really NO TRANSFERS)?

> Though, it would be nice if these stats could be collected by
> backuppc, and stored in some clearly defined file, whereby
> some other tool could easily collect the data and present it
> in whatever format is desired...

Regards,
F.