BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Behavior of BackupFilesExclude for rsync

2009-05-15 10:05:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Behavior of BackupFilesExclude for rsync
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 15:34:36 +0200
Hi,

Matthias Meyer wrote on 2009-05-15 08:48:00 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Behavior of BackupFilesExclude for rsync]:
> Tim Cole wrote:
>
> First: please do not use html messages

Yep.

> > I have a similar question.&nbsp; I'm using rsync for transfer and need to
> > exclude a few windows directories such as system volume.&nbsp; I added the
> > path to the directory as rsync sees it on the other end
> > "/mnt/windows/system volume information" but it doesn't get
> > excluded. [...]
> > I've tried using backslashes before the spaces, question marks
> > in place of the spaces, quotes, no quotes, spaces, no spaces, and nothing
> > works.&nbsp; When I used to do rsync backups manually I used an exclude
> > file with just "System Volume Information" and it worked.

you are answering your own question here (and Craig has also recently answered
it in another thread): excludes are case sensitive, even if the underlying file
system is not. Try excluding "/mnt/windows/System Volume Information" (or
"/mnt/Windows/System Volume Information"?). Also, remember that excludes are
relative to the transfer root, so it might need to be
"/Windows/System Volume Information" or even "/System Volume Information" -
depending on what your ShareName is. You can also continue to use the
unanchored version "System Volume Information" (meaning "exclude any file or
directory named 'System Volume Information' anywhere in the file system"). If
that doesn't work and you start using wildcards, I believe you need backslash
path separators (quoted for Perl if you edit the config file, unquoted if you
use the HTML editor).

Or, of course, abandon Windoze :-).

> Why do you use /mnt/windows instead /cygdrive/c/windows ?

Maybe it is set up that way? The backup as such seems to work. The exclude
should almost certainly *not* include "/cygdrive/c" ... see above.

Regards,
Holger