BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Behavior of BackupFilesExclude for rsync

2009-05-15 14:35:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Behavior of BackupFilesExclude for rsync
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Tim Cole <tim.cole AT athenatech DOT com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 20:31:41 +0200
Hi,

Tim Cole wrote on 2009-05-15 11:46:52 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Behavior of
BackupFilesExclude for rsync]:
> [...]
> Here's a snip from the log and my config file so you can see what I'm
> talking about:

ah, that pretty much clears up everything. Which is not to say there may not
be other problems, but it's obvious why the exclude isn't being applied.

> Remote[1]: rsync: readdir("/mnt/lpl/System Volume Information"): Permission
> denied (13)
> [...]
> $Conf{RsyncShareName} = [
>   '/mnt/lpl'
> ];
> [...]
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   'system files' => [
>     '*.ALF',
>     '*.ADF',
>     '/mnt/lpl/System Volume Information'
>   ]
> };

You've got exclude settings for a share named 'system files', but you're
actually backing up a share named '/mnt/lpl' (for which you haven't defined
any exclude). You need

        $Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = {
                '/mnt/lpl' => [
                        '*.ALF',
                        '*.ADF',
                        '/System Volume Information'
                ]
        };

See again the remark in my previous post about excludes being *relative to the
transfer root* and note that the ShareName in BackupFilesExclude (and
BackupFilesOnly likewise) needs to literally match the ShareName you are using
*exactly* for BackupPC to apply it. The only special case is '*' which applies
to all shares that *don't have an individual setting*. Note also that settings
from the global config file and the host config file are *not* cumulative. If
you have a setting in the host specific configuration, it overrides the global
setting for this host.

Regards,
Holger