BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Behavior of BackupFilesExclude for rsync

2009-05-12 18:20:40
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Behavior of BackupFilesExclude for rsync
From: Ian Levesque <ian AT crystal.harvard DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:14:33 -0400
Hello,

I've got a client I'm backing up via rsync (BackupPC v3.1). I recently
added a very large directory to the filesystem I'm backing up, which
has many hundred thousand files inside it. I don't need to backup this
directory, so I've added a BackupFilesExclude entry (i.e., /home/
username/directory) to my config. Sure enough, the directory is not
being backed up -- that's good. The only problem is that since I've
added this directory, backups are taking _very_ long; incrementals are
taking 3 days, where they used to take 10 hours. So my guess is that
the rsync is evaluating all of the directory's contents rather than
excluding en masse.

When I run a manual rsync command with --exclude=/home/username/
directory, the file list takes a relatively short time. I figure that
the rsync module isn't as smart?

Any insight would be certainly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian