BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Pre-Install Question on "pooling" (was: Detailed explanation on how "pooling" works)

2009-05-12 12:39:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Pre-Install Question on "pooling" (was: Detailed explanation on how "pooling" works)
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Skip Guenter <skip AT skipsjunk DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 18:34:33 +0200
Hi,

Skip Guenter wrote on 2009-05-12 10:31:27 -0500 [[BackupPC-users] Pre-Install
Question on "pooling"]:
> [...]
> will "pooling" be in effect for the multitude of duplicates across these
> directories all on the same machine (from that servers perspective)?

yes. Same content, same pool file, wherever the content comes from.

I could confuse you by telling you that the initial backup will *temporarily*
need more space for any duplicates not already found in the pool, but that is
most likely not a problem, so I won't ;-). Then again, if you're talking about
*many* NFS roots and very limited space for backups, just do a backup of *one*
of the NFS roots beforehand to make sure everything is in the pool. You can
delete that backup later on. (You can even delete it right away, as long as
BackupPC_nightly doesn't run before your real backup *finishes*.)

But most likely, you'll simply want to ignore this.

Regards,
Holger