BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?

2009-03-13 23:05:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:54:37 -0800
Mike Dresser wrote:
> Chris Robertson wrote:
>
>> Hopefully my original message didn't come across as negative of either
>> XFS or BackupPC.  Due to how well BackupPC and XFS handled the load I
>> threw at it initially, I expanded the retention policy of my backups
>> without thought, planning or proper research and testing.  As a result
>> of this rash behavior, I'm experiencing some teething problems.
>>

> We keep backups for 36 monthlies, 4 weeklies, and 8 dailies.. haven't
> seen much degradation in performance from that.

In the interest of differences in setup, and why you are not having
troubles, I have a few questions to ask...

How many hosts do you back up?
What does df -i show for the mount point?
Did you use an external log?
Did you use any other specific optimizations when creating the file
system (version 2 log, modified suint and/or swidth)?
How big is the filesystem?
How full is it?

> Do you run an xfs_fsr on the filesystem now and then to keep
> fragmentation down?

Daily.
[root@archive-1 ~]# xfs_db -c frag -r /dev/sdb1
actual 41673387, ideal 40843714, fragmentation factor 1.99%

> Mike

Chris