BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?

2009-03-17 18:26:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:17:01 -0500
Chris Robertson wrote:

>>> Thanks for the numbers.  I'm starting to think my problems might be
>>> related to the kernel I'm running (default Centos 5.2, with xfs-kmod).
>>> It's been years since I rolled my own kernel, but I might just have to
>>> break out the compiler...
>>>
>> Any chance of a more drastic change?  That load looks like it would be a
>> great test for something that can run zfs...
>>

> Why not?  :o)  As long as it can continue to access the XFS volume I
> have (for the month until my current backups would "time out"), I'm game.

I don't think that's possible - at least in a way that I'd trust.  You'd
need to run solaris, opensolaris, or freebsd for zfs and I don't think
they do xfs natively.  There'd be some chance of running one or the
other under VMware server or virtualbox with native access to the device
(assuming both have drivers and they don't conflict), but even that
sounds risky.