BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?

2009-03-12 17:03:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:50:48 -0500
Chris Robertson wrote:

>>> I've heard about hardlinks which can be a problem if theire are millions of
>>> it. Is that true?
>>>

>> The file system can become... interesting to fix or backup when you get
>> a few million hard links, especially if you're using XFS.
>
> Amen to that...

But note that normal operation of backuppc is fairly efficient, doing
name lookups within a reasonable tree structure even in the common pool.
Only the nightly cleanup has to walk the whole directory, and if that is
a problem you can divide it up so it only does a portion each night.

> For comparison, I have a Xeon X3320, 8GB RAM and 16 Seagate ES.2 1 TB
> drives (ST31000340NS) on a Adaptec 51645 using a RAID6 setup
> (effectively 13 data drives, 2 parity, 1 hot spare).  Fulls every 7
> days, incremental every day.  I Started off keeping 4 weeks of fulls and
> two weeks of incrementals, and cleaning the whole pool nightly.  All
> (~125) backups completed within the 20:00-07:00 time frame and
> BackupPC_nightly finished in under 5 hours (with a concurrence of 8).
> Then I doubled retention on both fulls and incrementals and have been
> fighting steadily worsening performance problems since.  Dropping the
> retention back to initial levels is taking a while (BackupPC_trashClean
> seems to finally be gaining some ground).

Since the files are created in one place, then linked to another
directory there isn't much the filesystem can do to optimize access
access and you end up seeking all over the place.