BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?

2009-03-18 11:11:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?
From: Ski Kacoroski <kacoroski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 07:57:33 -0700
On Fri, 2009-03-13 at 19:56 +0100, Matthias Meyer wrote:
> Mike Dresser wrote:
>

> > Matthias Meyer wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> How scalable is backuppc?
> >> Where are the limits or what can produce performance bottlenecks?

Here is a datapoint.  I am backing up 2000+ user directories on 1600 mac
workstations with a 'cluster' of 7 low end 1U servers via xtar (needed
to pick up resource forks).  Each server is connected to a Exastore NAS
from which they mount the /var/lib/backuppc and /etc/backuppc
directories.  Each server is limited to 6 backups at a time and they
average a load of 2 - 5.  The cluster currently uses 4TB on the NAS
which is roughly 6TB of data from the workstations.

I have written a few glue scripts so that new workstations are added
automatically to the 'cluster' and the load is distributed among
machines in the 'cluster'.  I say 'cluster' because it is not a true
fail-over cluster in that each server node is responsible for its set of
workstations and the cpool is not shared among all server nodes.  For
all intents there is no limit to how much this architecture can scale --
I just add on more server nodes as needed.

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, kacoroski AT gmail DOT com, 206-501-9803
or ski98033 on most IM services