BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?

2009-03-12 17:50:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?
From: Chris Robertson <crobertson AT gci DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:34:36 -0800
Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> The file system can become... interesting to fix or backup when you get
>>> a few million hard links, especially if you're using XFS.
>>>
>> Amen to that...
>>

> But note that normal operation of backuppc is fairly efficient, doing
> name lookups within a reasonable tree structure even in the common pool.
> Only the nightly cleanup has to walk the whole directory, and if that is
> a problem you can divide it up so it only does a portion each night.
>

>> For comparison, I have a Xeon X3320, 8GB RAM and 16 Seagate ES.2 1 TB
>> drives (ST31000340NS) on a Adaptec 51645 using a RAID6 setup
>> (effectively 13 data drives, 2 parity, 1 hot spare).  Fulls every 7
>> days, incremental every day.  I Started off keeping 4 weeks of fulls and
>> two weeks of incrementals, and cleaning the whole pool nightly.  All
>> (~125) backups completed within the 20:00-07:00 time frame and
>> BackupPC_nightly finished in under 5 hours (with a concurrence of 8).
>> Then I doubled retention on both fulls and incrementals and have been
>> fighting steadily worsening performance problems since.  Dropping the
>> retention back to initial levels is taking a while (BackupPC_trashClean
>> seems to finally be gaining some ground).
>>

> Since the files are created in one place, then linked to another
> directory there isn't much the filesystem can do to optimize access
> access and you end up seeking all over the place.

Hopefully my original message didn't come across as negative of either
XFS or BackupPC.  Due to how well BackupPC and XFS handled the load I
threw at it initially, I expanded the retention policy of my backups
without thought, planning or proper research and testing.  As a result
of this rash behavior, I'm experiencing some teething problems.

Chris