BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?

2009-03-12 12:38:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?
From: Mike Dresser <mdresser_l AT windsormachine DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:12:48 -0400

Matthias Meyer wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> How scalable is backuppc?
> Where are the limits or what can produce performance bottlenecks?
>
> I've heard about hardlinks which can be a problem if theire are millions of
> it. Is that true?

The file system can become... interesting to fix or backup when you get
a few million hard links, especially if you're using XFS.  There
_appears_ to be some bugs in Debian etch's xfs tools, last time I had to
run an xfs_repair -n on etch it took 6 days.. after upgrading to lenny
it takes about 10 minutes or so.  I'm guessing there were some major
improvements in the xfs tools from etch to lenny with regards to memory
usage.
> Anyone would share his experience about CPU usage in relation to bandwidth
> usage? Particularly by using rsync?

I see about 2-15m/s on our rsync backups   CPU usage is pretty low, it's
mostly disk i/o that holds it up.  The newer faster machines back up
faster, so there's a bottleneck on the clients as well.

> I have a 2x1GHz Server with 2GB RAM and 4x500GB SATA Disks in Software
> Raid5.

server here is a 2x1.8ghz opteron 265, 5GB ram, 8x1TB with 3ware raid5.
Backup window is set from 18:00 to 23:00, it generally finishes all the
backups within that 5 hours.  Full's every 8 days, incr every day.

    * Pool is 1852.64GB comprising 8466234 files and 4369 directories
      (as of 3/12 02:26),
    * Pool hashing gives 9654 repeated files with longest chain 85,
    * Nightly cleanup removed 7189 files of size 35.62GB (around 3/12
      02:26),
    * Pool file system was recently at 44% (3/12 12:05), today's max is
      44% (3/12 00:00) and yesterday's max was 44%.

There are 42 hosts that have been backed up, for a total of:

    * 789 full backups of total size 10819.30GB (prior to pooling and
      compression),
    * 284 incr backups of total size 913.00GB (prior to pooling and
      compression).