BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?

2009-03-13 15:02:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How scalable is backuppc?
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:56:30 +0100
Mike Dresser wrote:

> Matthias Meyer wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> How scalable is backuppc?
>> Where are the limits or what can produce performance bottlenecks?
>>
>> I've heard about hardlinks which can be a problem if theire are millions
>> of it. Is that true?
>>
> The file system can become... interesting to fix or backup when you get
> a few million hard links, especially if you're using XFS.  There
> _appears_ to be some bugs in Debian etch's xfs tools, last time I had to
> run an xfs_repair -n on etch it took 6 days.. after upgrading to lenny
> it takes about 10 minutes or so.  I'm guessing there were some major
> improvements in the xfs tools from etch to lenny with regards to memory
> usage.
>> Anyone would share his experience about CPU usage in relation to
>> bandwidth usage? Particularly by using rsync?
>>
> I see about 2-15m/s on our rsync backups   CPU usage is pretty low, it's
> mostly disk i/o that holds it up.  The newer faster machines back up
> faster, so there's a bottleneck on the clients as well.
>
>> I have a 2x1GHz Server with 2GB RAM and 4x500GB SATA Disks in Software
>> Raid5.
>>
> server here is a 2x1.8ghz opteron 265, 5GB ram, 8x1TB with 3ware raid5.
> Backup window is set from 18:00 to 23:00, it generally finishes all the
> backups within that 5 hours.  Full's every 8 days, incr every day.
>
>     * Pool is 1852.64GB comprising 8466234 files and 4369 directories
>       (as of 3/12 02:26),
>     * Pool hashing gives 9654 repeated files with longest chain 85,
>     * Nightly cleanup removed 7189 files of size 35.62GB (around 3/12
>       02:26),
>     * Pool file system was recently at 44% (3/12 12:05), today's max is
>       44% (3/12 00:00) and yesterday's max was 44%.
>
> There are 42 hosts that have been backed up, for a total of:
>
>     * 789 full backups of total size 10819.30GB (prior to pooling and
>       compression),
>     * 284 incr backups of total size 913.00GB (prior to pooling and
>       compression).

I backup 10 PCs (Linux & Windows) from LAN and 8 PCs (Windows) over Internet
Pool is 182.54GB comprising 1008528 files and 4369 directories (as of 3/13
02:29),
Pool hashing gives 28891 repeated files with longest chain 20,
Nightly cleanup removed 1472 files of size 4.77GB (around 3/13 02:29),
Pool file system was recently at 47% (3/13 19:20),
today's max is 47% (3/13 02:00) and yesterday's max was 48%.
There are 18 hosts that have been backed up, for a total of:
 107 full backups of total size 929.57GB (prior to pooling and compression),
 112 incr backups of total size 122.94GB (prior to pooling and compression).

Whats the meaning of 2-15m/s?

br
Matthias
--