BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to backup the backuppc server (off site)

2009-02-10 19:08:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to backup the backuppc server (off site)
From: phil <phil AT backup-and-restore DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 01:06:36 +0100
Hey Scury7,

I've asked the same question some time ago and got lots of usefull ideas
what to do, since some of them required some skills I didn't had or a
budget my boss wouldn't give me... you might want to look into:

1) AoE (ATA over Ethernet) - you could add a drive to your BackupPC
Server that is located somewhere else in the building. Connected by a
Gigabit-Ethernet-Connection (add a 2nd network card to your
backuppc-server, in order to protect the LAN because of high traffic)

2) (Soft?)RAID1 with at least 3 drives. I've used this and I'm currently
trying to write scripts to get things done with the press of a button/key:
I've created a SoftRaid 1 (mirror) using mdadm on my Ubuntu Server. I've
3 Drives in the RAID. Since I can stop BackupPC, unmount the drives and
lock one drive away, I have always a full backup of my backuppc server.
Using Clonezilla I've created a backup of the server on another
usb-mass-storage-device for baremetal-recovery.
How to setup Softraid:
+ stop backuppc
+ Create a new Raid1-Set made of at least 3 drives(drive1, drive2,
drive3 ...)
+ mount the raid-set at /var/lib/backuppc
+ Backup your clients
+ stop BackupPC and unmount /var/lib/backuppc
+ remove one drive from RAID (ex: drive3) and lock it away.
+ mount /var/lib/backuppc and start BackupPC
+ Backup your clients
+ The next time you bring your "old" drive (ex:drive3), Stop BackupPC
and unmount /var/lib/backuppc
+ remove another drive from the raid (ex: drive2) and add the old one
(drive3) to  the raid set
+ The array will be rebuilt (drive1 will be copied over to raid3) and
you can lock drive2 away
+ you can already remount the array and start backuppc, while
performance will be slower during rebuilt process.

While this is not the ideal solution, since you need to have some
knowledge and it involves some handwork (on the terminal) it works.

Using udev-rules and some scripting it should be possible to save some
hand coding, but make sure to do some testing before ...

3) as mentioned before you could use another backuppc-server to backup
the clients, but this might add more network traffic, if some of the
clients can only be backup during working hours.

As soon as I'm sure that my RAID1-Offline-Backups-Procedure is
error-proof, I'll write a short howto. Any ideas are of course welcome.

In the meantime I've setup a rsync-script that synchronizes the content
of my Samba-Fileservers over VPN to a remote branch office.
So I don't have the backups of all clients at the other office, but of
the servers. Since most data is stored on the Fileserver, I can live
when I loose the backups of the clients-pcs.

Office A:
Fileserver A
BackupPC-Server A

Office B:
Fileserver B
BackupPC-Server B

Fileserver A -> rsyncd (vpn) -> Fileserver B
Fileserver B -> rsyncd (vpn) -> Fileserver A
Fileserver A -> BackupPC -> BackupPC-Server A
Fileserver A -> BackupPC (vpn) -> BackupPC-Server B
Fileserver B -> BackupPC -> BackupPC-Server B
Fileserver B -> BackupPC (vpn) -> BackupPC-Server A

So I have the data of the fileservers available at two different
locations. The rsyncd-script is running several times during the day by
a cronjob. Of course the sama-shares are excluded from the backup to the
remote BackupPC-server over VPN, since it's already on the remote
fileserver (from rsyncd).

I hope you could understand what I've meant - sounds complicated to me :-)

Kind regards

- P hil