BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to backup the backuppc server (off site)

2009-02-10 11:11:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to backup the backuppc server (off site)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:09:48 -0600
scurry7 wrote:
> Hello all, I have been looking for some documentation on how to backup my
> backup-PC server.  What on my backup server needs to be duplicated so I can
> restore my backups once the server is back up?
>
> I can tell that the data and stuff is stored in /var/lib/backuppc/ but is
> that all that I need to sync up? (when restoring do I only need to re-install
> backuppc then rsync that directory back?)

With the packaged distributions you have to figure out where the
configuration lives and copy that too.  If you do your own install you
can put everything under one top level directory so it is easier to
clone (or at least you could with the 2.x version).

> Also, does anyone use a really good really cheap service for online data
> storage?
>
> I have about 900G used on my server.

That's going to be difficult to sync unless you can use some kind of
image-copy of the disk or partition to an external drive.