BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC working for a year, all of a sudden nothing works

2009-01-02 10:44:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC working for a year, all of a sudden nothing works
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 08:41:23 -0700
That doesnt sound like faulty RAM was the base issue.  It sounds like a buggy power supply, which can slowly degrade system components.  The RAM may have been stressed by bad power and reached a point where it would no operate properly when the voltage fluctuated.  Replacing the RAM may just be putting in new RAM that can handle the power issues for a while.  You could see another component fail for no apparent reason if it is indeed the power supply.  You should really consider doing a load test on your power supply.  There are some guides online for this, it can be done with a multimeter and something to put a load on the system like a TEC attached to a rheostat.

This is one good reason to use ECC RAM.  The error checking circuitry is designed to function well outside the tolerances of the RAM it is attached to.