BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC working for a year, all of a sudden nothing works

2009-01-02 07:41:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC working for a year, all of a sudden nothing works
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:38:04 +0000
The same happened to me and the strangest part is i could compile the kernel, and do all the memory tests just fine, as you i also had new ram so after changing lots of things like network cards, removing hardware and so one i changed the ram (the ones that all the tests said it was fine) and voilá... it started working like a charm.
The curious is it just stopped working while doing the backups, I manage several hosts ones with tar, other with rsync and some others with samba.
I think the memory would only stop if working under stress for a long time (as the kernel compilation does) but with the kernel compilation maybe it wasn't long enough. As backuppc uses compression, encryption and high IO for a long time it probably stresses the computer more than the kernel compilation.

Probably the same is happening to you.
Cheers,
Pedro
Pedro M. S. Oliveira