BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC working for a year, all of a sudden nothing works

2009-01-01 23:04:14
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC working for a year, all of a sudden nothing works
From: Gene Horodecki <geneh AT shaw DOT ca>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 22:00:59 -0600
I've been backing up my house with backuppc a very long time and never
had any problems.  I was using the rsyncd method, but a couple months
ago it dawned on me that I wasn't getting all the files because of
permissions so I switched to the ssh/tar method and it continued to work
just fine.

However, over the last little while things have stopped working.  I have
three 'hosts' that go overnight and not one of them works.  With the
ssh/tar method I get 'unexpected end of tar file' and with the ssh/rsync
(as opposed to rsyncd) method I get 'Got fatal error error during xfer
(aborted by signal=PIPE)'

It almost seems to me like ssh is dying.  To make matters worse,
sometimes it takes my entire system down with it and spontaneously
reboots.  I do notice ssh using up almost 80% cpu while the backup is
going but otherwise I don't see anything abnormal, other then the system
going away...

I've done the following two things in the last month:
1) increased my RAM from 1G to 3G
2) upgraded from ubuntu 7.10 to ubuntu 8.10

I just tried upgrading backuppc from whatever version I have to the
newest one, and it's still doing the same thing.  Please help??!?

Thanks.