BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC

2008-08-08 14:18:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC
From: Rich Rauenzahn <rich AT shroop DOT net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:18:01 -0700
Diederik De Deckere wrote:
anyway. you should consider NOT moving to raid5 as it is very very
slow with backuppc.  specifically, write speed is less that half
that of a raid1 and way less than a raid0+1.

I'm not sure if speed is an issue here since all backups are taken
over night.

I'm using RAID5 at home across 4x500GB drives to backup our home machines and another across the internet.   Space efficiency was more important to me than speed and I don't have any problems using RAID5.  So it really depends on your use case and priorities.  (Not all of us are backing up 100 laptops in a corporate environment!)

Rich