BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC

2008-08-07 19:16:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Diederik De Deckere <diederik AT minuscuul DOT be>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 01:16:04 +0200
Hi,

Diederik De Deckere wrote on 2008-08-07 23:08:26 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Move BackupPC]:
> Holger Parplies wrote:
>
> I'm confused.  Where did I go wrong?

well, there's one currently active thread in the mailing list on this topic
and something like several hundred old ones. Wherever and however you search,
you're bound to find something. It's not in the top three hits on google for
"Backup BackupPC", but "copy BackupPC pool" gets you something.

Diederik De Deckere wrote on 2008-08-07 23:38:05 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Move BackupPC]:
> The system on my 3 year old Poweredge 2950 right now is Mandriva but
> all other servers are CentOS.  So I want to use CentOS on that server
> too.
> There are 6 disks in the server: 2x250-2x250-2x500, which is good for
> 1TB of data.  All 250GB will be replaced by 500GB, raid5.

It has been noted on the list that RAID5 is not good for performance with
BackupPC.

> That way I
> will have 2,5TB disk space.  I have an external 1TB USB drive where I
> can move all important data to it,

You do realize how long moving 1TB over USB will take you, just considering
link speed?

> put a new system on it and restore
> BackupPC.  No idea if BackupPC will recognize all previous backups.

Yes, but copying the pool will be tricky.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=20080805035907.GE14056%40gratch.parplies.de&forum_name=backuppc-users

(not the best reference, but the first one handy).

It appears I can browse and edit the wiki again (don't know why it didn't work
a few days ago), so I'll write something there rather than here.

Regards,
Holger