BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC

2008-08-07 17:39:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC
From: Diederik De Deckere <diederik AT minuscuul DOT be>
To: dnk <d.k.emaillists AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:38:05 +0200
dnk wrote:

> But back onto topic, I suspect (but have not tested or done) one
> could just clone the drive to an external source... modify the raid
> configuration, rebuild the raid and assuming partitions are the same
> size (and same hardware), just clone it back?
>
> That is a first thought without having actually done it myself, or
> having really investigating it. My rather vague answer is mostly due
> to the fact I just started playing with backuppc about a month ago,
> and have not even put it into production (just at the testing phase
> in VM's).

Partitions won' have the same size.
The system on my 3 year old Poweredge 2950 right now is Mandriva but
all other servers are CentOS.  So I want to use CentOS on that server
too.
There are 6 disks in the server: 2x250-2x250-2x500, which is good for
1TB of data.  All 250GB will be replaced by 500GB, raid5.  That way I
will have 2,5TB disk space.  I have an external 1TB USB drive where I
can move all important data to it, put a new system on it and restore
BackupPC.  No idea if BackupPC will recognize all previous backups.

--
Diederik