BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC

2008-08-08 18:12:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Diederik De Deckere <diederik AT minuscuul DOT be>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 00:11:54 +0200
Hi,

Diederik De Deckere wrote on 2008-08-08 16:43:54 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Move BackupPC]:
> Op 8-aug-08, om 16:01 heeft Daniel Denson het volgende geschreven:
> > you should start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know.  Google didn't gave me any hits so I asked it
> here.

it seems we're all being a little harsh with you for no apparent reason. I
apologize for my initial reaction which was due to again reading a frequently
asked question - not entirely your fault, you only asked once.

You did *not* hijack an existing thread, you added more detail to your own
question, which is correct and good [and yes, I checked the header of the
message that started this thread; it seems my MUA removed an extraneous space
from the subject in my reply, maybe that confused Daniel?].

As for Sam, he didn't hijack a thread either, in case Daniel meant him.

Daniel,

> > specifically, write speed is less that half
> > that of a raid1 and way less than a raid0+1.

I would find interesting what kind of setup you get that sort of performance
with (hardware or software RAID, disk speed, number of spindles, RAM size,
$Conf{MaxBackups}, ...). I doubt it's an absolute figure as you make it sound.
And, is it really write speed you are measuring? BackupPC does a lot of pool
*reads* for comparing transmitted files with pool content.

Regards,
Holger