BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC

2008-08-07 19:05:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Diederik De Deckere <diederik AT minuscuul DOT be>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 18:05:52 -0500
Diederik De Deckere wrote:

> Partitions won' have the same size.
> The system on my 3 year old Poweredge 2950 right now is Mandriva but
> all other servers are CentOS.  So I want to use CentOS on that server
> too.
> There are 6 disks in the server: 2x250-2x250-2x500, which is good for
> 1TB of data.  All 250GB will be replaced by 500GB, raid5.  That way I
> will have 2,5TB disk space.  I have an external 1TB USB drive where I
> can move all important data to it, put a new system on it and restore
> BackupPC.  No idea if BackupPC will recognize all previous backups.

It is generally a problem to copy a large backuppc archive with any
method that has to reconstruct all the hardlinks.  The nicest way is to
just build a new system and keep the old one around just in case until
you have accumulated some history on the new one - or migrate the old
disk set to something else.  If you have to copy 1TB, the best shot
would be to use dd or partimage to duplicate it in image mode and if the
destination partition is larger, resize the filesystem after the copy.