Amanda-Users

Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den

2009-10-01 16:05:35
Subject: Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:44:16 -0400
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> Many many thanks for the hint, but it was confusing that it was the
> Shop:/home/amanda/.amandahosts file I fixed, and not the
> Shop:/home/backup/.amandahosts.

Presumably backup's home directory (in /etc/passwd) is /home/amanda.
Don't blame me, I'm not a kubuntu developer.

> And that leaves my mind quite well confused about just who the heck owns what
> here.  And I don't think this is something I can blame on alzheimers even if
> I will be 75 on Sunday.
>
> This bit of cross-correlation should be FAQ'd better, or a manpage on
> amandahosts written that covers all this.  I note that manpage is
> conspiciously absent.

The overall problem you faced here is due to different distros
building Amanda differently, and there's no simple way to document
that that wouldn't change daily as distros changed.  However, an
amandahosts manpage would be a good thing.  Do you want to write one?
I think there's some info in amanda(8) already, but a separate manpage
is a good idea.

Dustin

--
Open Source Storage Engineer