Amanda-Users

Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den

2009-10-01 22:55:23
Subject: Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 21:46:37 -0400
On Thursday 01 October 2009, Charles Curley wrote:
>On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:51:56 -0400
>
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
>> On Thursday 01 October 2009, Charles Curley wrote:

>> >Actually, nobody owns it; it doesn't exist on a standard Ubuntu
>> >installation. From my unchanged Ubuntu client installation:
>> >
>> >root@dzur:/var# grep backup /etc/passwd
>> >backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
>> >root@dzur:/var#
>>
>> Oookaaay, what do you get from a "grep amanda /etc/passwd"?
>
>About the value of a political promise on election night.
>
>ccurley@dragon:~$ egrep amanda\|backup /etc/passwd
>backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
>ccurley@dragon:~$ grep amanda /etc/passwd
>ccurley@dragon:~$

So you don't even have a user amanda, nor a /home/amanda directory...

Interesting.  Bears further investigation I believe.  When I'm fresher.

Thanks Charles.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Laundry is the fifth dimension!!  ... um ... um ... th' washing machine
is a black hole and the pink socks are bus drivers who just fell in!!