Amanda-Users

Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den

2009-10-02 04:06:13
Subject: Re: user amanda on server, user backup on client, access denied to amanda AT coyote.coyote DOT den
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert AT linux-m68k DOT org>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 09:56:46 +0200
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 03:46, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:
> On Thursday 01 October 2009, Charles Curley wrote:
>>On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 20:51:56 -0400
>>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:

>>> Oookaaay, what do you get from a "grep amanda /etc/passwd"?
>>
>>About the value of a political promise on election night.
>>
>>ccurley@dragon:~$ egrep amanda\|backup /etc/passwd
>>backup:x:34:34:backup:/var/backups:/bin/sh
>>ccurley@dragon:~$ grep amanda /etc/passwd
>>ccurley@dragon:~$
>>
> So you don't even have a user amanda, nor a /home/amanda directory...
>
> Interesting.  Bears further investigation I believe.  When I'm fresher.

Debian and Ubuntu use the `backup' user. It's homedir is `/var/backups', and
/var/backups/.amandahosts is a symlink to /etc/amandahosts.

BTW, I never had issues with it (Debian user since long before I
started using Amanda
in 1997).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert AT linux-m68k
DOT org

                                                            -- Linus Torvalds